Many of us are not aware that for every bulk SMS we send online there is a delivery report. Also, we often don't know that the different delivery reports can have different meanings. A delivery report is simply a combination of the recipient numbers, delivery status, and a unique ID created at the time you sent the SMS.
Delivery reports help to keep you informed about the status of your SMS so you know which numbers received your SMS and which ones did not. Examples of these delivery reports could be; Message Delivered, Message Pending, Message expired, etc. This article helps you understand what each of these delivery reports mean in order for you to get better results from your SMS campaigns and SMS communication activities.
Below is a list of the different delivery status messages and their meanings:
1. Message Sent and Delivered: It means the SMS has been sent to the operator of the recipient and has been successfully delivered to the recipient's phone.
2. Message Awaiting Delivery Report/ Pending: This means the SMS was successfully sent but is yet to deliver to the recipient operator due to either bad network coverage or switched off number of the recipient as at the time sent. Hence the network is yet to confirm the delivery of the message.
3. Expired or Dropped status: It could mean either of these listed below;
- The number is unable to receive SMS at the time of sending.
- It is applied to DND numbers which have been added automatically by the network.
- Another reason for this delivery status could be that the number is switched off or in an area with low or no mobile network coverage, has exceeded the time limit (15 hours) for it to get delivered and therefore cannot be delivered again.
- It could also mean that the recipient's number is a bad number.
- suspicion of SPAM on the operator network e.g: sender ID relating to financial institutions or government agencies.
- Random unsolicited messages blocked by the operator, or has been barred from receiving bulk SMS.
4. Message Rejected / DND: This means the number has opted in to the MTN do not disturb service. Click here to read and know more about SMS delivery to MTN DND numbers.